Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Learning About Leyla McCalla and Haitian Folk Music

2014 International Fest Docks at Port of New Orleans



Last year I was blessed with  partnership that brought me to my current interest of many these days. Haitian folk music is an area I never was educated on. I heard it now that I learn of the roots of Haitian roots music. Yet, growing up no one stopped and told me these songs were Folk songs. Now in school listening to Blue Grass music and other Folk, I never took to Haitian music let alone knew what would play at decibels not clear to make out but tunes was even a Haitian version.

Not till I was asked to head promotion online for the yearly Zakafest which is a festival that keeps the Haitian culture alive. "Kilti Ayisyen or Ayisien" in Creole means Haitian culture, now more than ever so much is coming my way about it and in the form of a beau who loves it. So last year May I learned of this amazing Folk artist who happened to be Haitian American and from New York residing in NOLA, New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Mesi Bondye on YouTube made me stumble on her interview and the sharing began from there. My passion is to share with those who come from my neck of the woods and anyone else who wants to know, do about what gems are online that may not be shared as much on popular pages for one reason or another. Very fortunate to have many who are helpful in pointing into the right direction like Coach Peter of North Miami Senior High School and so many others like my boyfriend who plays for Kriz Rara. That in itself I am dating a Haitian man as more than a hook up is for another blog, lol.

Just elated to learn of Leyla McCalla who is all over doing her thing internationally too. Now I am getting a bug for Haitian music but not in the Kompa I really cannot stand more than an hour listening to or Zouk that I also do not care for. Just being honest as I am about Hip Hop of today. I love old school and rarely like the new school more than the beats. So many say oh, your not Haitian for that, and I just think to self this hang up is ridiculous and just an overreaction that is more based on hurt feelings than what it blatantly is, disregard to my natural human right to like what I want. So I am love Haitian Folk music and thank my baby Mario for sharing all the old greats like, Jean Raymond and others again at my age of 33 year old still never heard of to even start seeking or getting who they are from a post if I happen to see it. Now, I do get krunk, just need a good mix of genre selections I like.

Leyla McCalla - Mesi Bondye (YouTube)

4 comments: